We all know agencies are increasingly running their business in digital environments. But managing the evidence of that digital business – the records – can be challenging and requires innovative solutions and practices.
To support agencies with the transition, Queensland State Archives (QSA) hosted a records and information management event in Brisbane on 1 September 2016. We had a good turnout with representatives from a wide variety of public authorities attending the event.
The theme, Digital Transition: today’s records for tomorrow, featured presentations from speakers working across the Queensland public sector, who provided insights and shared their approaches to working in the digital environment.
Here’s a quick recap of the speaker presentations:
- Opening the event was Queensland State Archives’ Executive Director and State Archivist, Mike Summerell. Mike outlined QSA’s vision and strategic plan.
- Josephine Marsh, Director, Government Recordkeeping, QSA, provided an update on our current projects and initiatives, including the much anticipated release of the new General Retention and Disposal Schedule.
- From the Queensland Audit Office (QAO), Anthony Close, Acting Auditor-General Queensland, discussed the auditing and recordkeeping requirements around going digital and QAO’s digital transformation experience.
- Adam Saines, Manager, Digital Transformation, Department of Justice and Attorney-General, presented an eSeals and digital signatures case study.
- From the University of the Sunshine Coast, Sam Elkington-Dent, Information Officer (Copyright & Compliance), discussed marketing strategies to raise the profile of records and information management.
- The final speaker of the morning was Sue Biggs, Acting Manager, Information Management, with the Department of State Development. Sue shared her experience in preparing the agency to move to 1 William Street.
A big thank you to all the presenters for giving their time to come to the event and share their experiences.
Presentations from guest speakers are now available on the Events section of the QSA Connect and Collaborate webpage. The event was live streamed and a recording will be available on the Events webpage soon.
To keep up to date and receive our updates and announcements, subscribe to the GRK Update mailing list.
Senior Policy Officer